Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 64 on Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:32 am
Affiliates
Help each other grow by becoming part of this list.
Latest topics
» Web browsers
Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:28 am by Rampart

» Show us your desktop!
Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:27 am by Rampart

»  What was the last movie you watched?
Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:19 am by Amonder

» What is Favourite scene from a movie?
Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:16 am by Amonder

» Who spends more in shopping? Men or Women?
Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:09 am by sefvitl

» What is your favorite PS3 game?
Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:12 am by TedMeow

» Windows 7 disk space catpure problem
Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:23 pm by moldy

» css sprites
Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:44 am by darceylambert

» Benefits of having a solar power system at home.
Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:04 am by ADDYSON45

Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking Digg  Social bookmarking Delicious  Social bookmarking Reddit  Social bookmarking Stumbleupon  Social bookmarking Slashdot  Social bookmarking Yahoo  Social bookmarking Google  Social bookmarking Blinklist  Social bookmarking Blogmarks  Social bookmarking Technorati  

Bookmark and share the address of on your social bookmarking website
Follow the Moldy912 Network
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Facebook
Watch us on Youtube
View Counter

Share | 

My Opinion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Crepuscular

Female Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: My Opinion   Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:05 pm

I'm staying on this site and I'm going to try and be active. Thing is, is that I want to point a couple of things across.

Depending which way you look at it, it could be harsh, or whatever but I have a lot of opinions, and a lot of suggestions for improving this site.

I don't want to offend anyone, or anyone's hard work. I appreciate what everyone's done as I own a forum myself, but there.. well, the site needs a few tweakings done to it.

So would you mind, yes or no, if I put my views across, and then you consider with an open-mind. Turn it into a discussion if you want it to.

Thanks

Crepuscular
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mythiule.com
moldy
Admin
Admin

Male Number of posts : 425
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:32 pm

Lol, you're scaring me with the "This may offend you!" stuff! Just tell me! I want all opinions, really.

Male Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2008-06-23

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:33 pm

he means the site looks empty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://graphics.zforum.biz/index.htm
moldy
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:43 pm

Well, I'm sure he has a suggestion to help us build this community.

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Well some people are easily offended, is all. If you want it, you'll have it. Just got to prepare it.

I'm a she people! She!!!

And it's nothing to do with the site looking empty. Every site has to start somewhere.

Loads of suggestions Wink

Edit: (Managed to write it up)

How long have you been running a forum for? Just wondering likeÖ

Portal:
The Left Side
Is there any way you can arrange the side stuff (Search etc.) at the bottom of the site instead of the top? I donít know about you, but not many people use search. =/ The Last Topics is good, keep that. Top Posters is not necessary. Anyone can go to Memberlist and sort the top 10 posters in descending order or whatever. Having it displayed creates a bad impression. And may I just say, you have a LOT of partners. Youíre basically inviting all your members, or guests to go onto those sites rather than staying at yours. Too many partners, too many distractions. About Us, itís great and stuff, but have it in a thread rather than on the side. Itís squashed for one thing and if you have a thread, then link it from the portal, itís better. If you canít delete any of the above mentioned, make threads of About Us, Partners etc. and then just link it back. E.g http://www.mythiule.com/portal.php If you look at links, youíll see what I mean.

The Centre
Ditch the calendar. I think we all know the date, as it says so on our computers anyway. And the View Counter, canít you have that right at the bottom of the site? A proper introduction to the site would be ideal rather than the threads.

Right Side
Pretty good up to the affiliates. You never have affiliates on your portal, front page otherwise search engines and the like can pick it up and yeah, itís basically bad. Put it at the bottom of your forum if you can. If you canít, itís fine. Better still if you have a thread, or even a random affiliate script.

You need to question things that you absolutely need on a website. Guests and people do not want to be bogged down or intimidated. No one is using the gallery, ditch it. Same with anything else in the menu bar.

Forum
For example, the introduction at the top of the forum should be the introduction in the portal. Everything else is fine.

Left side of the Forum
The Navigation should be in the portal as well. Itís a bit bogus having all those links because theyíre all at the top anyway, so youíre just wasting space. Last Topics is fine. Who is online is not necessarily really as itís at the bottom. Having partners on the forum as well is a bad move. I know maybe you want to do them justice because theyíve helped you or whatever but if you want to run a forum, this isnít the way to go. There are other ways. Search is not needed here once again. Social bookmarking is alright.

Content
Right. Itís a bit unorganised. You should have important topics stickied by admins or global moderators not as normal threads as they can easily get lost in the current of threads. Or even turn them into announcements.

I personally donít like the guest book. To be honest, youíll only get spam. People who honestly want to join judge everything by the look and appearance. Iíve never encountered a forum with a guest book.

And what I meant in the music thread moldy is that youíve got enough threads to put people off and send them running to hell. What with Please Enter, Bye guys, Retire, itís a bitÖ well people are easily put off. Not a good start to the off topic forum. I mean, yeah itís off topic, but not so much that it attracts unwanted attention. If youíre leaving, youíre leaving, end off.

Secondly, who are you directing this to? It seems like Iím the only female here <.< But anyway, are you just directing this to males, or females? Older generation or young? That needs to be more apparent.

Do you want to go far with this forum or is it just for fun and you couldnít care less? Your posts suggests the latter. SEO, Search Engine Optimisation picks up on post content, therefore ranking your website higher when people search for things. Looking at your threads and your posts, nearly all of them look like spam, containing one sentence. Not enough personally. Certainly not enough to attract robots. Some of it is just plain old conversation which can easily be via PM. The system is there for a reason. It becomes pretty disappointing when you continue in having short posts, making it harder for the other to reply with a longer post, therefore they follow suite like mindless sheep.

Itís cool that you have a trash can and all, but letting others view it is a definite, maximum no. Really bad move there. If itís junk posts or threads, delete it. That as well puts people off.

I mean, you want this to be serious right? Or is this just a laugh and Iím wasting my time?

Just a couple of things you need to think about. Donít take offence or whatever, Iím just pointing the obvious. If itís not the obvious, the above is just one of many ways of looking at Moldyís lounge.

Looking at your statistics, you've got 815 posts which is awesome, heading onto 1000, but nearly all of them is well... nothing, content wise.

Content is ideal, along with appearance.

And what have you done to advertise the site?
Back to top Go down
moldy
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Things I did not understand:

Navigation should be in portal
Introduction in the portal
(there were some more but I can't find them)

Things I will be doing after reading this:

take away search
take away top posters
make own page for: partners, about us
take away calendar
take away gallery
take away guestbook
delete random threads in off topic
don't let members view trash can

If you think there is something vital I missed, please let me know. I know there are some things i cannot do such as put the counter at the bottom of the page. I probably would have to get a certain counter that is coded to be at the bottom but I like the one I have now.

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:08 pm

I'll explain it a bit more.

You know the Navigation on the forum:

Homepage
Forum Index
Memberlist
FAQ
Search

Something like that should be in the portal instead of the forum. Overall, there shouldn't be those links at all because they're all at the top. Instead, you should have something like... rules, or guestbook, or intros etc. so guests can easily navigate themselves without scrolling and whatever.

The introduction of the forum like what it's about and stuff should be in the portal.

"Welcome to Moldy's Lounge!

We at Moldy's Lounge would like to personally welcome you! As a registered member, there are a number of things you can do here:

1. Visit our forums and join us on our latest discussions!
2. Complete the latest polls or make one of your own!
3. Discuss the latest gadget, gaming, and car news!
4. Play in our exclusive arcade (members only)!
5. Request one of our Graphic Designers to make you any kind of graphic!

Please make sure to stick around! If you have any questions, please notify one of the moderators after you have registered. Before you start posting, it would be wise to read the rules."

^ Should be in the portal as it's the first page you view as you visit the site.

Yes, I think that's better.

It sounds good. You'll have to alert me when it's finished. I can then make further suggestions.

Another thing. I see you have a lot of partners. I call them affiliates because they're more like that then partners. You said something like "relative to our topics" That's a bad move. You shouldn't narrow yourself down to specific forums. If you branch out to all places and everywhere, a person might have cars, art, games as an interest and therefore stumble on the site. Forums that include cars, or art, or games, why would the members want to join another forum along the same lines if they already have that one?

You have a button to affiliate with. You can't depend the members on doing everything for you like advertising. You have to go out there and purposefully get the advantage and advertise. Not just.. forums you've joined or anything like that. Go to google and randomly search for forums with a high PR. Exchange affiliates and the like...

Meh, that's all for now. *scratches head*
Back to top Go down
moldy
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:37 pm

Well, I've tried to advertise with quite a few sites so far even for the 16 days the site has been up. I don't think I can make the welcome appear on the Portal only. I guess the only way I could do that is make a widget for the welcome on the portal and just take away the welcome alltogether so it can't be seen on the forum.

for the navigation, which links do you think would be most useful?

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:48 pm

Yeah... maybe.

Rules definitely...
Intros.

Hmm...

And anything else you want to include. It's your site mate.

Maybe forum and portal, but I'm not sure about those.

Oh, and double posting is bad. Well I frown upon it, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
moldy
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:05 pm

Well, who is the Admin? Wait, doesn't it say it at the bottom? Please tell me the exact pixel in which it tells who the admin is and what color they are.

lol I was practicing, don't worry. Tell me why you think Intros should be there...

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:57 am

Ah now that's a bad way of looking at things. It's like reality. If you met a person who thought he was superior to you, would you feel... pissed? I certainly would. Admin is no different. Yeah, the admin has power and whatnot, but if you think you're superior to everyone else on the site because of it, you're wrong. We (as members) have the power to create a mutiny therefore shut down your site or whatever. Like I said, you don't know the horrors of owning a website.

Not to mention we look up to admins. If admins double post, everyone else will double post as well and follow suite instead of editing etc.

You just look at any professional sites and see if they've got people double posting.

I'm not saying Intros should be there. I think it would be cool because the guests can find it immediately and introduce themselves. Ultimately, it's up to you.
Back to top Go down
moldy
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:56 pm

Ok, I'll think of which ones fit best.

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:48 pm

I think the changes are pretty good...

You want to ask the members their opinion?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Opinion   

Back to top Go down

My Opinion

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: The Cast and Mold :: Admin's Corner-